Friday 19 October 2007

Justice begins in the Court of Justice

If we cannot find it there, justice can never be found.

By Amde Sidik

"When I am asked what I thought, my usual reply is that I wouldn't like to be tried by today's judges, especially if I am innocent." Tun Suffian, 2000

This is a landmark decision by the judge Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus from the High Court of Law of Malaysia. He awarded Abdul Malek Hussin RM2.5 million for damages he suffered when he was detained under Malaysian ISA law where according to the judge police took free ride on him and took away his liberty (my interpretations).

It has been a very long time since we hear a decision of this kind. All too often government takes it all by whatever devious means if necessary, for example, amending charges fancifully or faking evidence unethically, bringing mattress as evidence where and when there is no logic for probing it as anybody can use it. Still the presiding judge was far from questioning the relevancy.

Rais Yatim a lawyer now Minister or Art and Culture during his saint as opposition member wrote Freedom Under Executive Power in Malaysia. His critiques I greatly shared with. Analysing on what and where executives have gone wrong, now his book is a mere collection. Why? Because he himself does not believe what he wrote. A camouflaged Semangat 46 man soon became a team member of the executive all his ideas reduce to ashes. What a statesmanship we have! The rest of YBs-lawyers, I do not hear many except, Zahid Ibrahim, read In Good Faith lately? However, I feel Zahid political carrier would not go far, as square peg usually would not fit round hole, unless he turns another Rais Yatim.

So, what is next? I am sure AG is preparing to appeal to challenge this High Court decision. On the other hand and there are many Tan Sris wanted to be called Tun or Datuk to be called Tan Sri. As per Lingam and CJ fixing scandal. We are no short of expectations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was with a few friends recently on our usual rendezvous supposed to be at kedai kopitian but upgraded to Coffee bean. I did not choose I could always come back to my kopitiam shop. But, you see, if I in insist on my own way I would not be able to see the other side of midnight. Mind you, they are politicians from the ruling political party. But as to why they kept talking and seeing me, I just cannot figure out, a mysterious game plan. Honestly, I have nothing valuable to offer.

I see it like this: they said being a member of political party … it really is rigid. One can only see but not allowed to say, and cannot say, if one does that, one is breaking the tradition and penalty awaits you. Just like saying, one is free to vote only in as far you vote the one they asked you to. Those reluctant or seen reluctant would be given some angpau ready bundled for general elections

Therefore, my friends have the idea. A person like me is outside of political cage. I can say anything to help broadcasting their ideas whatever subjects. Why? because they are lot of dissatisfaction over how the assets of the state is run, over the way the wealth of the state is distributed, over the policies are formulated and so forth and so on.

Surely, unless I agree, I would loss my independence if I have to be tied up with my friends’ ideas.

The bottom line is, on my part I would not mind being in the team, after all they are my friends. I can still say the way I want to say while discussing, trashing and analysing issues and subjects that are of interest me, and beneficial for community, except I am not keen to be associated with someone who thinks he is genius yet whose brain no better than the parrot in the hand of Long John Silver.

0 comments: