Wednesday 7 November 2007

Ah! You are privileged lot (?)


Wishing all


Jogging track


A view of restaurant buildings , middle picture, and a bridge cut crossing the lagoon



By Amdee Sidik

Today, if finished two rounds of the track, it would mean I have covered fourteen tracks in my seven days walking without breaking a single day. One round of the track is about two and a half kilometers, so in a day I did about five kilometers. Seven days means I have covered thirty-five kilometers. I said to myself that is not bad for a lazy person like me.

This is new aspiration and new way of looking after my body and mind. Someone says healthy body contributes to healthy mind. Let us see.

First, let me say about the place. In the past I have been changing places of jogging or I prefer calling it walking. However, I come back to the Tun Fuad Stephens Park; some called it simply Bukit Padang. About three kilometres from the bustling Kota Kinabalu city- a land mark say, from Centre Point. First, it is very close to where I live, and it is only logic not to drive far when petrol cost is rocketing and clamouring to be increased soon after country’s general election. It does not make sense to some people a country that produces petrol and gas. Look at our little neighbour Brunei!

Second, I think Tun Fuad Park is the most beautiful open space for keeping fit activities that one can find in the state; if not in the country (see some pictures I took with my little pda). The environment- trees (green) produce plenty of oxygen, the track is fairly clean, the track is not entirely flat which is good for legs muscles, the smell of trees and grass or even wild flowers makes oneself elsewhere not in Kota Kinabalu. In the middle is a lagoon, but the water is not to our liking, because in the middle is a putera and puteri-prince and princess- restaurants (one of the eateries center for the city) I do not like it. I would reserve this topic for my future write up.

However, today is my seventh day of walking; one young lady whose head wound up with wire plugged her ears with MP3 earpiece walking beside me and said:

“Hi! My name is Rebecca (not the real name), you do this everyday?”

“For the last seven days, yes” I said.

“I am looking for work, I am a trainer, you know, I was trained in London. I lived in London for five years a long period”

“Kalau you tau ada employer cari, saya professional dulu kerja hospital-you cakap English?” she repeated in Malay

“What sort people you are training, and what kind of training is that?” I replied. I am not sure if I sounded more like a KGB or CIA agent. She looked at me and asked if I am working in the state, as civil servant? CEO or Director of Government Department, or Public Agencies- or am I senior Government Officer from Kuala Lumpur?

None of those I said.

“Ahh… you retiree?” she said.

“Some sort, not too old but not very young either. I did not retire based on government retiring scheme. I retired myself”

“Have you been to University? What course did you do and where” she continued asking.

I find that a bit too personal for a professional asking kampong questions. Now this conversation disturbed my rhythm of walking. Initially I was about to select places to take photograph, rehearsing my pda, though I have it for about half a year but I have never got opportunity to use it.

“Are you Malay? You people have a lot opportunities, government helps you” she started again.

This is weird, how am I going to tell her who I am, and what do I think on issue like this. In normal circumstances, I have no difficulty, give me round table lay down the cards and I will lay mine. Let put the ticks later, count how many each has. Declare a winner!

I more or less understand the questions she asked, and I know roughly, why such questions are important to her not only that she must ask but she must also hear reasons.

To begin with my simple lecture that morning:

Yes lady I attended universities and obtained a few degrees. I am not smart and never was may be it was just by coincident. Yes, I got scholarship for my first undergraduate degree just like many other Bumiputra living in the jungle those days. I borrowed money for a couple postgraduates qualifications and on my own in another and another…Yes, I was in the country you mentioned…

About my race, in general, yes, I am Malay from Malay stock, but to be precise I am not. However, our state constitution says I am native. My ancestors must be from Murutic group according to my study-see The Mystic of Borneo-Kadayan, Published by Bookstand Publishing 2007, and Borneo Publisher (for Malaysian Edition) May be I am sharing ancestors with the Sultan of Brunei if you know what I mean.

Am I the privileged native? My answer, yes to a certain point just like many others. However, it was not so in another.

I have not been a CEO of any Government Agencies not now not before. I have been a senior legal officer, but not to the extent as you expected. I was not given silver plate let alone gold plate. You know why young lady? It is because I was as I am and am as I was. May be one day you will get to know me better. Excuse me; let me take a picture of this little butterfly.

My butterfly

A closer view of the restaurant buildings

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! lovely, beautiful...please write more

Anonymous said...

I never know you turned writer, extraordinary!I used to watch you growing up-wonder if you ever recognise me even if I show up. God bless you

Anonymous said...

you know kami tertanya-tanya, apa sudah jadi orang yang kami harap2-walaubagaimanapun, you always have means to contribute to our people-tahniah

Anonymous said...

You must have some kind of training in taking pictures