Friday 7 September 2007

A Thought


By AS

I am of a semi nocturnal person my sleeping time is between 2 o’clock to 3 o’clock in the morning. I must be up by 7 in the morning, no reason; it’s just natural over the years. If one asks what do I do? Haa…tell you later. Some of my friends said I must be sick or may be going to be sick for having not enough sleep. Well let put this sleeping thing aside for a while.

Today a friend sent me a sms (...) it was, actually he called me earlier, didn’t get the answer, because today I didn’t do my daily ritual. Instead I took my shower first before turning on my notebook then my hand phones that caused time delay, whilst in any other days showers would come only later.

The sms wasn’t a usual one. It was indeed sad news, our friend’s wife just passed away. Condolence and with our deepest sympathy to him and the rest of the family. I hurried to the Masjid Bandaraya-where the prayer was going to be held. There I met a few familiar faces of old friends who studied together at ITM –Institute Technology MARA was then called. We seldom meet. But now we are seeing each other again, to some extent a bit nostalgic seeing at one time familiar faces. Nearly all if not all are with silver hairs, a few with very little hairs but in the mosque all are wearing songkok or caps hairs therefore are not in the limelight.

Being with old friends put me like I was in a different planet for a while. A sudden impulse telling me that it is just impossible to see each other very often. Each of us agree-going away forever is inevitable to every one. My concern is whilst we are still breathing what the better way to spend in order not to loss the friendship.

Three years spent at college seems like ages. The feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood was bonded. It remains longer both in hearts in mind because to many of us it was one of the earliest experiences. Some say like falling in love at the first sight remains longer then any other love.

Now, because it was at the sad moment and also at a holy place-the mosque, surely citizens like us wouldn't find it difficult to behave. Religious talk therefore takes prominence.

The issue I want say is, since most of these friends are professional people, I called it a cream of local intellectual in the state. I would think there are still plenty of things that this group of people can contribute and utilise anything left to the fullest-not to be misled this is different group living in different time-contrary to the earlier ones. Some of these people are left out by designed purposely-if you don't see them driving government Mercedes by those who have different agenda. Some managed to meander around got what they aimed for, some didn't bother to play politic and some got sick till the dying day. One thing I am sure, no body is going to say sorry!

My suggestion is those of us who are of the same wavelength so to speak, should be able throw support to those in need of support, make our young realise that they need guidance and the country needs it. Why ? The need now is greater than ever..., as I see it. In other words, we should contribute in any field where we think we are good at but do not hope for any return-no space to spell out the details here, but I am sure some of you would catch what I meant.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this article most. Thank you